• January 29, 2016 at 4:08 pm #17554
    Hercules
    Participant

still not sure femto or not, but looked like TXCO to me

• January 29, 2016 at 10:43 pm #17560
    Larry Ho
    Keymaster

Michael…

Adding Femto clocks here will jump up the cost to really high.

But I will have the femto clock version of regenerate USB 3.0/2.0 signal on LightSpeed USB 20G active cable.

• January 30, 2016 at 9:22 am #17570
    jer
    Participant

If the Uptone Regen has taught us anything, you don’t need a femto between the source and the sink to get amazing results.

I do wonder what the emergent behavior might be taking something like Source with a Femto and Vi/Pulse Infinity with a Femto and putting Regen/Revive in the middle. Would the TXCO “degrade” the audio when it re-clocks the signal, or will it be a no-op?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by jer.
  • January 30, 2016 at 9:40 am #17573
    OutSider
    Participant

I’d also like to know if there’s going to be a femto version. Otherwise going from Source to Pulse, both having femto would adding this actually make it better or worse?
    If there’s going to be a better model I’ll wait for that

• February 2, 2016 at 11:15 am #17624
    jer
    Participant

With Larry it’s always possible that a Femto version is coming. Last time I spoke with him, he didn’t have a femto with the right specs for the board, so he’s designed it with TCXO.

That said, I asked him if he’d done any listening to a femto-clocked source and a femto-clocked DAC with and without Revive (TCXO clocked) in the middle, and which he liked better. He said he was pleasantly surprised at how much better it sounded with Revive in-between. He was hoping that (at best) it “wouldn’t sound worse” but he said that for reasons he can’t quite fathom, it sounded surprisingly better better with Revive in-between, despite the lower-accuracy clock in the Revive.

I’m wondering if somehow it might be like a suspension bridge, with femto clocks for the first tower and the last tower and the suspended cable is like the accuracy of the timing, which sags the further you get away from the source? (Not a perfect analogy, but…) Adding a third tower in the middle to help “shore up” the timing in a way that the super-accurate clocks don’t do on their own…

Or maybe by “gating” the hyper-accurate timing from the femtos with a slower clock, it helps keep them “honest”, sort of like how Neil Peart sometimes uses a sample of his “kick” drum as a metronome when he’s on tour, so that he be sure he’s not getting off-beat? Sure, he could use a 1/64th note clicker (like the femto), but it wouldn’t help align to the rest of the band like the slower kick drum does?

I’m purely speculating (and admittedly, my analogies might not even be ‘valid’), but I do find it promising that, anecdotally, Larry really liked the sound of Revive in-between femto-equipped Source and Pulse Xinf.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by jer.
  • March 12, 2016 at 12:53 am #18037
    Jon
    Participant

I don’t think there will be any more juice you can squeeze out of a femtoed Source/Pulse. I bet in a blind test you won’t be able to tell one setup from the other, I’d say save your money on something else that will make a big difference like quality speakers and amps. That’s just my 2 cents. ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 2
cogt3, matthijs
Forum Statistics
Threads: 249, Posts: 251, Members: 5,227
Welcome to our newest member, cecilbevington