Vi DAC Xfi vs. Vi DAC Tube

• November 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm #16362
    LH_Stephanie
    Participant

Hello backers of our Vi DAC units, :-)

I am curious as to why you chose one over the other. The Vi DAC Xfi[Infinity] over the Vi DAC Tube[Infinity] or vice versus.

Best Wishes,
    Stephanie
    Customer Happiness Agent

• November 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm #16370
    matthijsmatthijs
    Participant

Vidac tube infinity: It is just the sh**load of connection possibilities to play with and find my favorite. Then switch out the ccx board and start again. Once I find my favorite ccx and connection combo, it probably going to be the end of the experiment. Oh well new boards will come around trying to upstage the ccx 8 and 6 and we’ll have a new show down. ūüėČ

• November 11, 2015 at 6:45 am #16389
    germay0653
    Participant

I chose the Tube version for the ability to use either SS or Tube output plus being able to swap out the coupling caps for the tube output using the CCX modules.¬† I just wish the headphone out, SE or Balanced, could have had tube output.¬† That’s the only thing missing, IMO.¬† If we want that then we have to purchase and insert a separate tube HPA.¬† C’est la Vie!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by germay0653.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by germay0653.
  • November 11, 2015 at 11:30 am #16405
    LH_Stephanie
    Participant

The possibilities are endless for the Tube version, I like it :-)

What is the difference, in your opinions, on the sound when listening to a product with tubes than without.

Best Wishes,
    Stephanie
    Customer Happiness Agent

• November 11, 2015 at 11:37 am #16406
    germay0653
    Participant

Midrange is a bit sweeter and highs maybe a little more airy because of the added second order harmonic distortion tubes impart.¬† You should talk to Larry…he’s a tube aficionado and roller.¬† He also likes vinyl!

• November 15, 2015 at 3:05 am #16566
    uncolauncola
    Participant

I chose the vi dac infinity solid state because I wanted it sooner and to protect my wallet because if I got the tube version I know I”d try out a bunch of tubes

• November 18, 2015 at 9:04 am #16641
    erniejade
    Participant

I like the sound of a tube product. My sacd, pre, and phono pre are all tube. The combo of tube and A SS amp I just find has a good synergy.

• January 19, 2016 at 4:41 pm #17512
    wfojas
    Participant

There is a combination of Solid state and tube that I preferred. If I am able to control the volume at the balanced outs to my solid state amp, this would be ideal.

• February 4, 2016 at 11:53 am #17656
    jackojacko
    Participant

After long deliberation I upgraded my Vi Xfi to Tube infinity.

I like the CCX module design and the possibility to swap from SS to tube ouput stage.
    This is what I do with my Shanling CDT-100, it is a lot of fun to get different audio flavors within the same unit.

Calibrate, listen, ENJOY!
    Calibrate, watch, ENJOY!

IEM + IEM-X Earbuds
    Vi DAC XFi Infinity Tube + ESS DAC 9018AQ2M + $1 gift + CCX#8
    Geek Source Plus + 4T + 3 Femto + Power/Caps Upgrade
    Geek Wave XD 128 + THD upgrade + DAD +IEM + Carbon + ESS DAC 9018AQ2M
    GO IEM 100, GO V2 Infinity
    Geek Station X

• February 10, 2016 at 11:38 pm #17677
    jer
    Participant

Same for me as the others – the ability to switch between Tube and SS was too good to pass up.

(I got to play with that feature at CES a few weeks back. Totally awesome! Now i just need to get a pre-amplifier that will let me do it as seamlessly as the Pass unit L&G were routing the show system with…)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 3
jeffh, s, twdickel
Forum Statistics
Threads: 250, Posts: 252, Members: 5,636
Welcome to our newest member, mayascantlebury