Using both outputs simultaneously in desktop system? (active monitors/subwoofer)

• February 1, 2017 at 8:47 am #19993
    nicolasv99
    Participant

I’m currently using the line out of a Geek Out 750 in my office system at work to a pair of Fostex PM0.4n active monitors using a mini jack to stereo RCA breakout cable. I want to add a small desktop subwoofer to this system, but most desktop subwoofers don’t have a high passed line out to send to my monitors.
    What I want to do is send the line out to my active monitors using a mini jack to stero RCA breakout cable as I’m doing now, into an in-line high pass filter @100Hz to filter out the lowest frequencies then into the monitors. With the other output (headphone out) I want to use a mini jack to stereo RCA cable into the desktop subwoofer. Is this doable? Will there be issues with impedance? Do I need to use Y splitters on the line out instead?

Thanks.

• February 2, 2017 at 1:40 pm #20025
    Manny TorresManny Torres
    Keymaster

I’m currently using the line out of a Geek Out 750 in my office system at work to a pair of Fostex PM0.4n active monitors using a mini jack to stereo RCA breakout cable. I want to add a small desktop subwoofer to this system, but most desktop subwoofers don’t have a high passed line out to send to my monitors. What I want to do is send the line out to my active monitors using a mini jack to stero RCA breakout cable as I’m doing now, into an in-line high pass filter @100Hz to filter out the lowest frequencies then into the monitors. With the other output (headphone out) I want to use a mini jack to stereo RCA cable into the desktop subwoofer. Is this doable? Will there be issues with impedance? Do I need to use Y splitters on the line out instead? Thanks.

I use a Audio Engine S8 to either Mackie or a5+

Might want to look into a crossover to achieve this.

• February 4, 2017 at 10:46 am #20062
    wingsounds13wingsounds13
    Participant

Nicolas, you could do as you mentioned, using a cable plugged into the headphone output to connect to the other device.  There is no problem with this.  The high input impedance of the sub and active speakers and low output impedance of the headphone output is not issue.

J.P.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 13
BC2112, Digger49, doctorjazz, federalist, Fourier, germay0653, harsain, jacko, matthijs, shimrod, Sigie, Tuner, wingsounds13
Forum Statistics
Threads: 232, Posts: 233, Members: 1,860
Welcome to our newest member, Tuner