My Pulse X∞ has crapped out

• June 19, 2016 at 1:08 pm #18729
    covermyears
    Participant

So I received my Revive earlier this week and proceeded to hook it up to my Pulse X∞ and couldn’t play anything through Foobar.  Unhooked my Revive and tried again and nada.  Looks like my Pulse has died.

I leave my Pulse on most of the time so perhaps I burned out one of the components but I would have though that after almost a year that everything would have been fine.  I don’t know what the failure rate of the Pulse DACs are but one of my relatives had his first Pulse X DOA.  I’m beginning to lose faith with LH, I don’t think that I will be buying any more gear from them.

• June 19, 2016 at 3:07 pm #18730
    wingsounds13
    Participant

They do seem to have a somewhat higher failure rate than most established electronics manufacturers.  Still, the Pulse is essentially their second product (the Geek Out being the first) not counting the hand built boutique product of the Light Harmonic DaVinci DAC.  Hopefully their newer product designs are rather better in this respect.  At least I certainly hope so as I am awaiting delivery of the Source and two Wave X.

J.P.

• June 19, 2016 at 3:51 pm #18731
    covermyears
    Participant

That’s a shame because I am quite happy with the sound quality of my Pulse, I’ve become quite attached to the synergy that it has with my Sennheiser HD800, the music just comes alive with conviction.  It has taken over a thousand hours of burn in of various components and a couple of headphone cables to reach this point.

I was thinking of eventually getting a Vi DAC but given the thousands of dollars that this requires I expect the gear to work without worrying about failure or having to baby it.  And since LH doesn’t have a dealer network for buyers to rely on where I could simply walk in and perhaps exchange for a new unit,  I would have to spend money returning it to LH (plus paying for shipping return fees) and wait for their support system to repair or replace the unit.  Simply put I don’t want to wait weeks or months having to deal with a defective item.

• August 5, 2016 at 1:00 pm #18894
    wliucm
    Participant

Sigh….so I’ve received my GP infinity a few days go….and I think there may be something wrong with it.

Playback would drop off randomly a few times a day. Windows 10 still sees the device, the GP still displays the current bit rate, but it would require a power cycle and a reboot of the playback application in Windows to work again….until the next random drop.

• August 7, 2016 at 9:59 am #18899
    ss
    Participant

Sigh….so I’ve received my GP infinity a few days go….and I think there may be something wrong with it. Playback would drop off randomly a few times a day. Windows 10 still sees the device, the GP still displays the current bit rate, but it would require a power cycle and a reboot of the playback application in Windows to work again….until the next random drop.

Sorry to hear that.  Open a trouble ticket — While they may have trouble delivering new product, they do well on support.

Steve

• August 8, 2016 at 9:00 pm #18921
    cogt3
    Participant

My pulse infinity is also bricked.  Can’t get a response from support in approaching 2 weeks.  So sad.

• August 9, 2016 at 3:34 am #18922
    Participant

Sigh….so I’ve received my GP infinity a few days go….and I think there may be something wrong with it. Playback would drop off randomly a few times a day. Windows 10 still sees the device, the GP still displays the current bit rate, but it would require a power cycle and a reboot of the playback application in Windows to work again….until the next random drop.

Are you one 2V0 firmware? Try 1V5 firmware. Mine keeps hanging within 30 minutes with 2V0 when viewing Youtube on Firefox or Spotify Windows app.

I have raised a ticket for this (Pulse Infinity X version 2 case on Win 10 x64) issue and if your Pulse continues working on firmare 1V5, then you have the same issue as I have. Let me know if your case is similar to mine. I have the 1V5 firmware if you have the same model of Infinity X I have and want to give it a go.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by .
  • August 9, 2016 at 6:31 am #18924
    cogt3
    Participant

My infinity has the original firmware shipped with it 9 months ago (was early backer).  Dac boots up to pulse Dac screen but will,not respond to input via front control knob or software.  It does show up as a usb audio device on the computer.  Can’t even find the firmware on the support page to try installing again.  And again, no response from support.

• August 9, 2016 at 7:25 am #18925
    Participant

Factory version : Version 2 Pulse Infinity X (2V0 firmware)

My Laptop : Windows 10 X64.

I raised a support ticket within a week of getting my unit (end of March 2016) about my Pulse stopped working after 30 minutes or less (hangs). My ticket was created on Tue, 29 Mar at 7:17 AM. LH Labs couldn’t replicate my issue in their labs. I was then given the 1V5 firmware to test and it was stable but no DSD 256 or native DSD playback.

Well, after that support was decided it was a hardware issue, so my Pulse went on a medical holiday to Singapore to be operated on. It came back with 2V0 firmware but the hanging issues were still around.  I was advised to downgrad the driver from 3.26 to 2.29 and it still hanged.

I told support I was going to downgrade the firmware from 2V0 to 1V5 as it was stable before. The unit continued working for a week straight and I reported it back to Larry. So, it works on the older firmware but not on the newer firmware.

6 days ago as an update to my ticket, Larry is going to speak to his firmware team to write a special firmware for my unit (it seems no other unit to has the same issue). The firmware is to have the stability of 1V5 but features of 2V0.

So I am wondering if wliucm has the same version 2 Pulse Infinity X and original firmware (2V0), and is having the same issue, where the unit might be stable with 1V5 firmware.

Firmware 2V0 says Main 3.0 when you look at the the firmware version.

Edit: The unit on 1V5 firmware hasn’t been turned off for about 2 weeks and it still works on Windows 10 x64 and 3.26 driver.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by . Reason: typo and postscript at the end
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by .
  • August 19, 2016 at 4:03 pm #19054
    MikeRubin
    Participant

Sorry to say that I can’t agree that the support has been good in the last few weeks.  My Pulse Fi refused to be recognized by any of my devices just one month after the warranty expired.  I’ve filed tickets on the support site but haven’t had a response other than the autoresponse in about a week.  Other posters on the support site indicate they’ve gone at least three weeks without a response.  Additionally, nobody from LH has responded to anything on the support site forums for nearly a year.  Not very encouraging.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by MikeRubin.
  • August 19, 2016 at 4:05 pm #19057
    MikeRubin
    Participant

“My infinity has the original firmware shipped with it 9 months ago (was early backer).  Dac boots up to pulse Dac screen but will,not respond to input via front control knob or software.  It does show up as a usb audio device on the computer.  Can’t even find the firmware on the support page to try installing again.  And again, no response from support.”

Same symptoms on my Pulse Fi and same lack of response from support, alas.

• August 21, 2016 at 9:46 pm #19066
    wliucm
    Participant

An update to the issue with my GPX Infinity…

So…I’ve submitted a ticket 16 days ago and *crickets*.

I’ve noticed that whenever the playback drops, attempts to change the volume in Windows’ system volume or trying to access the LH Labs driver UI would become sluggish. It seems like the driver itself is crashing/has crashed. A reboot of the DAC would usually solve the issue…until the next time there is another playback drop.

• August 21, 2016 at 11:04 pm #19067
    MikeRubin
    Participant

I misread your post. My unit does NOT show up as a USB device on either of my computers or my NAS and, on the computers, it does not show up on device manager at all.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers several times, but the unit no longer is accessible.

The failure to follow up on my support ticket, though, is identical to the failure to follow up on mine, except that yours has been pending longer than mine.

• August 25, 2016 at 2:57 pm #19092
    wliucm
    Participant

Manny, please kindly review ticket 31521. It’s been outstanding for 20 days. Thanks
    <h2 class=”heading”></h2>

• August 25, 2016 at 3:02 pm #19093
    MikeRubin
    Participant

As I hopped on just now to see your post after receiving email notice of it, I noted that the three members active on this board at this very moment are Manny Torres, you and I.  I hope that Manny’s ears are ringing right now. :)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by MikeRubin.
  • August 31, 2016 at 1:58 pm #19108
    TopQuark
    Participant

Add me to the list of Pulse X∞ owners that has problem.  My firmware was 1V5 when I started to have problems.  The Pulse attached to LPS4 was running since December 2015 without issues until recently.

I was given a firmware update to 2V0 with a “D” suffix in it and another that is plainly 2V0.  The first firmware killed the display on the unit.  It also started to cause issues with the LPS4 like all outputs dying at the same time.  To bring it back, I have to leave it off for few minutes (seconds will not do it) before powering it back up.  The unit can produce sound albeit intermittent crackling every now and then but, because the display is dead, I can not make any changes to the settings.  Volume control is dead.  I can still see the unit from Windows and can update the firmware.

Because I can’t see the display, I blindly updated the matrix display as suggested by tech support through micro-SD with a new firmware provided.  However, that didn’t help either.

The response when I requested for the firmware took about 1-2 weeks but when I brought up the issue as a hardware problem, I got response within 1-2 days.  Tech support is creating a special firmware for my unit.  I was informed it will take them a while so I am patiently waiting.  It’s been about a week since I last use both my units.  Here’s hoping to have it fixed very soon.

• September 1, 2016 at 7:10 am #19111
    EniGmA1987
    Participant

I dont plan to upgrade past 1V5, so many people reporting major issues when getting on 2V0 and above… :(

• September 3, 2016 at 1:42 pm #19115
    wliucm
    Participant

so….I am back to using my GPXfi with the GPX Infinity collecting dust while this driver issue continues to cause issues in Windows 10…..

• November 10, 2016 at 9:39 am #19433
    ducatirider
    Participant

is it possible to downgrade the firmware?  I can’t seem to find 1V5.  Can someone point me or send me the file?

• November 10, 2016 at 11:55 am #19434
    germay0653
    Participant

@DUCATIRIDER you have to put in a ticket to request the firmware, old or new, that they will send to you.

@WLIUCM, the problem is with the firmware (software on a chip) that resides inside the Pulse itself.  The Windows driver, which is different from the firmware, resides on your PC, not the Pulse itself.  The driver is not the issue. The firmware is.

• November 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm #19451
    lo_tse
    Participant

I received my pulse X-infinity about 6 months ago.  I  hooked it up to my old lap top (running FB2K) which acts as my music player/server. The old laptop runs on XP.  I installed the LH lab driver specifically for XP.  However, when the installation was completed, I got a message saying that the installation generate an error and the device may not run properly.  I was worry but thank god, so far so good.  It played without too much hassle.  My product version is 2V0, driver version 2.29, firmware version: main 3.0, USB 1.0, MCU 1.27.  However, I do observe some strange things.

I cannot get any signal from the single ended output.

The balanced outputs always worked.

The USB source always play, no issues.

I can play CD via the SPID/F connections. However, I noticed that sometimes the DAC would not play via the SPID/F source.  Rebooting sometimes solved the problem, sometimes not.   What I have to do was switched to USB source, play a few songs, then switched back to SPID/F, then it worked.??

Just today, I noticed something that has not happened before.  I was playing some files thru the balanced output connect to my amplifier, and my headphone . However, I noticed that the input source was still set to SPID/F, not USB!!!!   And the volume was at maximum even though it was set to -25 db  (note that the volume control was set to knob control).  Turning the volume knob did not work . I almost busted  my headphone, and my ear drum.  I switched the source inputs and it did not matter, it still played from the computer (has to be via the USB connection).  I then reboot the DAC and everything back to normal.    Firmware glitch??

I am very reluctant to ship the DAC back to LH Labs for checking since I live in Canada.  Shipping across the border back and forth is not ideal.

Just curious if anyone observe the similar  thing.

Regards,

• November 16, 2016 at 6:36 pm #19453
    ducatirider
    Participant

I received firmware 2V0_GPX and it worked perfectly.

• December 5, 2016 at 12:07 am #19545
    wliucm
    Participant

Sigh…so my repaired GPX Infinity came back…and after 2 weeks, the same issue. Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Playback would stop after ~ 10 mins. The DAC would continue to be recognised by Windows, but no playback via any program is possible until I reboot the DAC. Playback would work for another 10 mins, then….well, you get the picture.

• December 5, 2016 at 8:15 am #19547
    ducatirider
    Participant

sorry to hear that.  what playback software are you using?  is the pulse straight to the pc or are you using an NAA device like a sotm or microrendu?

i once had similar issues and i uninstalled jriver and re-installed it and the problems went away.

• December 6, 2016 at 1:57 am #19548
    wliucm
    Participant

The DAC is plugged straight into a USB3 port via a 2G USB cable on a Windows 10 PC. I am even using the base switching PSU. Perhaps I will try a different USB cable to see if that helps.

I’ve been playing TIDAL.

• December 6, 2016 at 6:29 am #19549
    ducatirider
    Participant

I guess the stupid question is how is your Windows power settings?  Is it set to never?

• December 7, 2016 at 11:22 am #19557
    ducatirider
    Participant

Another thing to try is to set QoS settings in your router.  My Netgear allows me to prioritize by multimedia, gaming or application.  I set mine up for multimedia and music streaming runs a lot smoother now.  Apologies but my previous comment was not meant to imply anything.

• December 9, 2016 at 9:22 am #19564
    rezhasan
    Participant

My Geek Pulse X began acting up while playing DSD files a few weeks ago and I decided to check for updates/new drivers. I found the Windows Driver 3.26 and flashed it and BOOM – it turned into a brick that is no longer recognised as a USB device. After some back and forth with Customer Support, I was asked to fill in a RMA form. After that I get another email asking me to try some new firmware – obviously the gentleman sending it hasn’t read the bit in my complaint which says the DAC is no longer recognised as a USB device.

And I was asked some very pointed questions which makes me think the LH Labs folks are familiar with the symptoms being shown by my DAC – such as only one white LED being visible when I look through the hole marked “Lock” on the back and the display showing my firmware as “Main 0.0”.

On top of that, two different people seem to be handling my case and working at cross-purposes. I just hope they find a resolution soon.

• December 10, 2016 at 6:46 pm #19566
    wliucm
    Participant

The DAC is plugged straight into a USB3 port via a 2G USB cable on a Windows 10 PC. I am even using the base switching PSU. Perhaps I will try a different USB cable to see if that helps. I’ve been playing TIDAL.

So it seems like there is something about TIDAL that the DAC doesn’t like…I’ve tried playing music through JRiver for hours on end and no drops.

With TIDAL, playback stops after a few tracks. By stop, I mean that TIDAL continues to “play” while there is no sound from the headphone out or RCA out. Closing TIDAL and launching JRiver to play something, and JRiver would complain about the driver not being able to play the format. Reboot the DAC and JRiver/TIDAL works fine again (well, the latter would stop working soon after)

• December 20, 2016 at 9:23 am #19596
    EniGmA1987
    Participant

The DAC is plugged straight into a USB3 port via a 2G USB cable on a Windows 10 PC. I am even using the base switching PSU. Perhaps I will try a different USB cable to see if that helps. I’ve been playing TIDAL.

So it seems like there is something about TIDAL that the DAC doesn’t like…I’ve tried playing music through JRiver for hours on end and no drops. With TIDAL, playback stops after a few tracks. By stop, I mean that TIDAL continues to “play” while there is no sound from the headphone out or RCA out. Closing TIDAL and launching JRiver to play something, and JRiver would complain about the driver not being able to play the format. Reboot the DAC and JRiver/TIDAL works fine again (well, the latter would stop working soon after)

Almost sounds like the DAC loses its clock sync to the computer. I have had a ton of problems with the DAC being unable to lock with the PC, mainly on switching from one input over to USB. Could be a driver issue and/or something with the femtoclocks trying to only lock extremely precise and it cant if there is just a bit too much jitter or something like that. It is really sad that such an expensive DAC has so many bugs and QC problems. I am already getting extremely frustrated with mine and am going to be selling it asap and trying to get something from a much better company.

• September 30, 2017 at 3:56 pm #24221
    lo_tse
    Participant

Does anyone know of any repair shop(s) that will work on the Pulse X Infinity?  My support ticket has received no response and I am trying to seek help.  Thanks!

Regards,

• October 9, 2017 at 12:13 pm #24659
    Nzboot
    Participant

Lo_tse go to the wave indiegogo page and write your problem in the comments and see if Jarek will do something for you. Good luck

• October 17, 2017 at 6:42 pm #24981
    lo_tse
    Participant

Lo_tse go to the wave indiegogo page and write your problem in the comments and see if Jarek will do something for you. Good luck

Thanks! I did not subscribe to Wave, not sure whether I can comment.  It is just sad, waited for  along time to get my X-Infinity.  Finally received it.  Used it intermittently for about 12 months, then one day, it just clunked out.  I tried two repair shops locally but they did not want to work on it.  Looks like I have to write it off.  Sighh……………

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 4
Andrew Cochrane, cogt3, germay0653, matthijs
Forum Statistics
Threads: 248, Posts: 250, Members: 5,152
Welcome to our newest member, lvnjodi29015