MQA support for Geek Wave?

• January 6, 2017 at 4:05 pm #19678
    drankin69
    Participant

Just wondering if the Geek Wave when shipped will support MQA or not. If future software upgrade would be available, that would be great to know as well. Sorry if this is a duplicate, just didn’t see it.

• January 7, 2017 at 12:42 pm #19680
    Andrew CochraneAndrew Cochrane
    Participant

I agree, support for MQA would be very welcome indeed, after the revolutionary things I have read about it. Wouldn’t that add additional licencing costs, though?

Squeezebox Touch -> Geek Pulse F/I -> Rega Brio-R -> 2x Harbeth P3ESR + Wharfedale Diamond SW150

• January 7, 2017 at 11:18 pm #19682
    wingsounds13wingsounds13
    Participant

Well, as Larry posted one day ago in the comments section of the Wave page on indiegogo:

“Larry Ho   1 day ago

MQA definitely created more and more momentum. Currently we have the plan for that but not in the first software phase of Wave. MQA function could be added via firmware upgrade.”
    So, not in the initial release, but in a future firmware update.
    J.P.
  • February 4, 2017 at 6:40 pm #20071
    Steve Cooney
    Participant

MQA is DRM in disguise and has no audiophile value and is certainly not revolutionary. Besides the Geek Wave wont qualify if it is able to pass through decoded streams out the USB-C port. Some manufacturers have already been knocked back on hardware decoding licensing on this account.

• February 5, 2017 at 10:28 am #20076
    drankin69
    Participant

Hi Steve,

I think you missed the point of my post. I asked if we might be able to expect support for MQA on the Geek Wave, nothing more. Your bias regarding the merits of the technologies involved are not if my concern. If MQA catches on as a technology, then I would like to know if my Geek Wave would be able to play files wrapped in that way. Hopefully extending the usefulness of said device. Technologies rarely show their merits at the outset of their life, those merits show clearly only after more widespread practical use. DRM proved futile in general as people didn’t like the restrictions of the implementation. But DRM in and of itself is not bad. If MQA is just the new “DRM” but sounds better and restricts less, it may turn out to be a real boon to the industry. Let’s reserve judgment until we can truly see how this all works out in the real world.

Thanks!

Daniel

• February 5, 2017 at 10:41 am #20077
    BC2112
    Participant

MQA??  Not relevant, particularly in light of the issues facing this campaign. It will be niche….If anything at all:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/mqa-vaporware-31115/

If it becomes DRM it will die off of its own accord.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by BC2112.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 13
BC2112, Digger49, doctorjazz, federalist, Fourier, germay0653, harsain, jacko, matthijs, shimrod, Sigie, Tuner, wingsounds13
Forum Statistics
Threads: 232, Posts: 233, Members: 1,860
Welcome to our newest member, Tuner