May 18 indiegogo Source campaign update

• May 18, 2017 at 9:47 pm #21066
    wingsounds13
    Participant

By careful reading and interpretation of the latest update, it appears that the Source Signature Edition might possibly start shipping in about four weeks.  Of course, knowing LH Labs project planning and scheduling, and the apparent fact that they have not received (and possibly even ordered) all of the parts, a more realistic estimate might be 8 to 12 weeks.  Regular Sources are to start shipping some time afterwards.  My current Wild Assed Guesstimate for this would be some time in September.  We’ll see.

All in all, some (many?) backers may receive their Sources before the end of this year.  Again, we’ll see.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

J.P.

• May 19, 2017 at 2:47 am #21071
    marflao
    Participant

Would also be interesting to know about how many “SE” and “Standard” sources we´re talking about here.

@ Larry: may you share those numbers?

Thanks in advance.

• June 18, 2017 at 4:53 am #21502
    jcooke
    Participant

It is now four weeks later has any units shipped ?

• June 18, 2017 at 12:21 pm #21503
    wingsounds13
    Participant
    Well…  Just a few​ days ago this post came up on the indiegogo Source page comments:
    ——————————————————
    bjski7
    I received this yesterday from Larry.
    “ just want to make an direct update to you for your Signature Edition of Source. And PCB Fab and Assembly are done. We are waiting for the Chassis to complete on the 4 week of this month then we will start the assembly then send it out. So the ship out date is set on first week of July plus or minus 5 works days.”
    ——————————————————
    So, no Source SEs will ship before the end of this month.  I am sure that within 24 hours of the first Sources being received that at least one new owner will post somewhere telling us about it.  I would not be surprised to hear from someone within hours of receiving their shipping notice (if LH Labs still sends them out to some of their customers).
    J.P.
  • June 18, 2017 at 12:44 pm #21504
    wingsounds13
    Participant

Speaking of Source SE and chassis…  As I understand it, the Source SE has a different chassis than the regular Source does.  I am fervently hoping that the difference between the two is the faceplate and the end caps.  I find the latest pictures of the Source to be unappealing.  I do not care for the thick faceplate with the deep \ [ ] / slash and window features.  Similarly the <<<>>> heatsink end caps unnecessary and unappealing.

I am hoping that these are unique features to the SE and that the regular Source has the plain unadorned chassis that we see in other pictures on indiegogo and the LH Labs marketplace​ website.  I prefer a simpler look, and it would be a much better match for the Pulse X infinity V2 chassis that I have.

I am sure that others will disagree, but am curious as to other opinions.

J.P.

• June 18, 2017 at 7:59 pm #21505
    jcooke
    Participant

I originally backed Lhlabs because they indicated they wanted to bring quality engineering to the masses (like Schiit Audio). At the time I felt there was a lot of overpriced and questionable gear in the Audio market. I wanted the time / effort / money to go into the technology and I wanted the gear to come in a neutral looking case. I expressed to Lhlabs I wanted the gear to look like it came from family and preferably stack on top of each other. I was happy for Lhlabs to offer a retail version with a nice pretty chassis and add ons once the indiegogo units had shipped.

I backed the Vi Dac Tube and the Source. I have waited years for the Vi Tube. Lhlabs have spent huge amount of time and effort designing a chassis that I do not really like and the chassis seems to be un-manufacturable / un-economic.  I backed the Source because my old source was on it’s way out.  Now it seems they are playing with Source chassis design.

Originally  I did not care about the chassis, I cared about sound quality. I put 100% of my audio budget on these two devices and I have received nothing. If I had a choice, I would have prefered my LHlabs products to be shipped years ago without chassis, at least I could be listening to them while I worked out what to do. After waiting all this time without music, I hate to end up with a ugly chassis.

I would prefer a thinner face plate without the slashes. The red heat sinks at the side may generate interest at a tradeshow but are not for me.

• July 2, 2017 at 8:39 am #21656
    Andrew Cochrane
    Participant

“So the ship out date is set on first week of July plus or minus 5 works days.”

July, yay! The time has finally come (plus or minus five working days)!

Squeezebox Touch -> Geek Pulse F/I -> Rega Brio-R -> 2x Harbeth P3ESR + Wharfedale Diamond SW150

• July 2, 2017 at 2:38 pm #21657
    wingsounds13
    Participant

First week of July ± 5 days.  That makes it July 7 plus five business days (does anyone really think that there is any possibility of the minus five days happening?) makes the possible first ship date Friday, July 14.  I would be surprised if any ship by then, much less before July 14.  They MAY start shipping before the end of July.

Still, that is for the Signature Edition models.  Even if the SE ships any time in July, does anyone think that the standard models will start shipping before October?  If things move at lightning speed in LH Labs terms, Maybe late September?  They can’t move too fast, after all, they have a hard won reputation of moving at glacial speeds to uphold.

J.P.

• July 3, 2017 at 4:01 am #21667
    jcooke
    Participant

I didn’t notice the Signature Edition option during the campaign and now I find myself behind them in the queue. I hope they are not going to be hand tuned by Larry.

• July 9, 2017 at 9:18 am #21751
    Andrew Cochrane
    Participant

Sorry if the sarcasm in my last comment wasn’t glaringly obvious. I didn’t think it needed a ‘/sarc’ but I guess it’s easy to misinterpret written comments.

Squeezebox Touch -> Geek Pulse F/I -> Rega Brio-R -> 2x Harbeth P3ESR + Wharfedale Diamond SW150

• July 9, 2017 at 10:28 am #21752
    wingsounds13
    Participant

No problem.  Our frustration over LH Labs glacial (or geological) development and production speeds blinds us to many things.  Although humor is important at this stage in order to maintain our grip on sanity, subtlety is often lost.  Perhaps we should all practice placing flags on our humorous statements to help others catch our true intent.

As expected, no evidence of shipment in the first week of July.  Now it is just a matter of watching and waiting to see how many more weeks (late) until SEs start shipping.  Anybody want to start a pool?  What date do YOU think the first Source will ship out?  :-)  My money is on July 27, and  I am almost certainly early with that guess.  Any other bets on ANY date in July?

Then again, I backed the early bird Source 2Tb and would be surprised to see mine before October, even if the SEs start shipping before the end of July.

J.P.

• July 11, 2017 at 7:29 pm #21791
    ss
    Participant

<sorta sarcasm>I’m not taking any dates in July 2017.  If it has to be a date in July, I’m taking July 2018. Heck, I’ll even be optimistic and take July 1, 2018.</sorta sarcasm>

• July 11, 2017 at 8:11 pm #21794
    wingsounds13
    Participant

Well played.  :-)  I understand the position and can’t really refute it.  I was in no way limiting it to July (of any year).  I was just feeling really optimistic at the time and wanted to kick it off.

Now that we are past starting the pool on when the FIRST Source will ship, how about when we think that we will receive OUR sources?  I say that mine may arrive November 31, but not saying what year.  :-)  My cause for optimism is that I was something like #27 to back the Source.  Then again, backing order didn’t seem to have any significant correlation with Pulse DAC deliveries…  :-/

J.P.

• July 14, 2017 at 2:44 pm #21802
    wingsounds13
    Participant

Well, we are at the end of “the first week of July +-5 days” first shipment time period.  I have not read any reports of shipping notices being received and am sure that at least one of the first half dozen to receive such notice will report it somewhere.  Given the ~4:1 Larry Ho to real world time ratio, the first Source SEs may go out somewhere between the end of July (right!!!) and end of August.  I am curious as to how well that time ratio will hold up.

This does not bode well for backers of the regular Sources.  At this rate, we would be doing well to get any out before December.  :-(

J.P.

• July 16, 2017 at 12:59 am #22149
    Andrew Cochrane
    Participant

We know from Larry’s Fantastical Chart in the Wave thread that the course of time at LHLabs moves in inverse dog years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 10
BC2112, ctbarker32, dubby, franktan, germay0653, jml2155, OutSider, steelydave, twdickel, wingsounds13
Forum Statistics
Threads: 236, Posts: 238, Members: 2,658
Welcome to our newest member, mlindsey