Impressions of the Geek Out V2A

• September 10, 2016 at 12:21 pm #19153
    MusicToMyEarsMusicToMyEars
    Participant

I got my GO V2A recently and put it head to head against the Pulse X Infinity.

Using the same headphones (Mr Speakers Alpha Prime and Hifiman HE-560), and the same headphone cable, a WyWires Red modular cable with interchangeable headphone and DAC connectors, I am able to do a very reasonable A/B test. I am using the balanced connections exclusively.

WyWires modular headphone cable

Both headphones have their own adapters. The cable is currently connected to the HE-560s. The end of the cable plugs directly into the 4-pin XLR balanced connection on the Pulse. I have 3 adapters to connect to other DACs. Two adapters are connected to the V2A for illustrative purposes, but I only have one connected at a time when using, to be safe. One is single-ended and the other is a TRRS connector. The 3rd adaptor is for a balanced connection to my Pono player. The Pono has two single-ended jacks that allow for you to connect two efficient HPs or IEMs, but you can combine them for a single balanced output. I love this kit! Whatever degradation in SQ that may occur at the cable interconnects is easily overruled by the convenience.

So far, I find the V2A to be as good as the Pulse. I have not yet been able to discern a notable difference and I’ve been playing all high-res up to DSD128. If someone were to ask me which of the two should they buy, I would definitely guide them to the V2A. I’ve listened to all different genres and the differences that I can identify might be in the crispness of the low frequencies or the location of an instrument within the soundstage, where one DAC may have it a little more over to the left.

At this point, both are fully capable of providing the emotional impact of the music to my satisfaction and I ended up listening to the music more than trying to evaluate the units. I no longer have a V2 in my possession for one has to trade it in for the V2A. I can tell you that when I am using the single ended connection to the V2A, it is significantly better in the low frequency resolution and in overall imaging when compared to my GO 1000 mA DAC.

It doesn’t get as hot as that GO 1000, but is is warmer than the V2 in its 3D printed case. Frankly, I don’t care. I really don’t fondle my equipment

• February 9, 2017 at 5:49 pm #20172
    Larry HoLarry Ho
    Keymaster

Nice! I love your adapters.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 7
alfons10l, EmilHem, germay0653, jaywhar, matthijs, MikeyFresh, wingsounds13
Forum Statistics
Threads: 666, Posts: 668, Members: 2,493
Welcome to our newest member, EmilHem