Connection Chain Question

• January 29, 2016 at 3:18 pm #17545
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Will Revive do anything good just going from my Pulse Infinity to my Auralic Aries streamer? Any benefit? The Infinity is just the DAC that feeds tot he Aries, not connected to my computer.

• January 29, 2016 at 3:26 pm #17547
    Hercules
    Participant

I think it’s benefited from LS revive, improvement depends on how good the USB clocking and power from Aries, If you have LPS then you will have good 5V power, LS Revive claims -20dB further noise reduction. Aries have Femto Clock so USB clocking should be alright.

• January 29, 2016 at 3:35 pm #17549
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Thanks Hercules. I do have the Infinity already connected to an LPS/4 and the Aries also has it’s own outboard PS. I know this doesn’t have anything to do with clean USB, so that’s really my question. If the Pulse/LPS/Aries aren’t directly connected to my computer, does Revive matter?

• January 29, 2016 at 3:43 pm #17551
    Hercules
    Participant

If power not the matter (infinity don’t take the USB 5V after handshake) then ground noise reduction and USB reclock may help here, if the LS Revive reclocked USB data better than Aries USB original data out, then you still benefited from Revive.

• January 29, 2016 at 3:49 pm #17552
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

if the LS Revive reclocked USB data better than Aries USB original data out, then you still benefited from Revive.

That is the question. The Aries has dual Femto clocks for the digital signal. I’d like to know from someone at LHL if Revive could have any additional benefit to improving the sound quality or if at some point adding all these things in the chain is just redundant without any benefit.

• January 29, 2016 at 4:11 pm #17555
    Hercules
    Participant

still not sure the clock inside the Revive is femto or not, and it seems targeted for computer user rather than music server user.

• January 29, 2016 at 4:58 pm #17556
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

I’m confused.

I have a GeekOut V2+ for my iPhone and headphones
    I have a GeekOut V2 for my PC and headphones
    I have a Geek Pulse Infinity and an LPS4 for my audio system.

Where would this fit in?
    If this is supposed to improve the signal coming out the Mac or the PC, then what the hell is my LPS4? Isn’t that separating the power from the signal when I am either using the LightSpeed 2G cable or even if I am using one USB cable from the Mac to the LPS4 and from the LPS4 to the Pulse?

• January 29, 2016 at 10:54 pm #17564
      Larry Ho
      Keymaster

In your case, I would put LS Revive between the music source and your Pulse Infinity DAC first.
      And Geek Out V2 could work with LS Revive happily as well. Your headphone will have a better sound stage and image.

your LPS4’s 5V output could directly goes into LS Revive’s 5V charging port. So you will get the best clean power goes into down stream DAC.

• January 29, 2016 at 5:14 pm #17558
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Good questions. I’d really like a clear answer from someone at LHL on this.

• January 30, 2016 at 10:31 am #17577
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

In your case, I would put LS Revive between the music source and your Pulse Infinity DAC first.
    And Geek Out V2 could work with LS Revive happily as well. Your headphone will have a better sound stage and image.

your LPS4’s 5V output could directly goes into LS Revive’s 5V charging port. So you will get the best clean power goes into down stream DAC.

Thank you, Larry.
    Unfortunately, the two 5V outputs on the LPS4 are to be used for the Infinity and for the Tube HPA, when I get that. I don’t have an available power port and I am not going to try to get an LPS8.

If I understand you correctly, the chain could look like this

The USB chain would be:
    Source -> Revive -> Infinity

The power chain would be:

LPS4 -> Infinity
    LPS4 -> Revive

The only way I would be interested in the Revive is if LHLabs were to buy back from my the Lightspeed 2G split cable and credit me the cost of the LPS4 to get an LPS8.
    This is an opportunity best for someone who has not already put together an LH system from the IGG campaign. That’s strange because of the email offer to previous backers to get the Revive at an introductory price. Perhaps there is enough of us to simply keep buying more.

I guess that I am just going to have to settle for the previously marketed, extremely good audio that I currently have.

In fact, I think I’m disillusioned enough to spin some vinyl to enjoy the best audio quality there is.

• January 30, 2016 at 1:08 pm #17580
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Larry, still not sure how the Revive works with a streamer as in my set up. It would go from the LPS>REVIVE>Aries?

• January 30, 2016 at 1:50 pm #17581
    OutSider
    Participant

Thank you, Larry.
    Unfortunately, the two 5V outputs on the LPS4 are to be used for the Infinity and for the Tube HPA, when I get that. I don’t have an available power port and I am not going to try to get an LPS8.

If I understand you correctly, the chain could look like this

The USB chain would be:
    Source -> Revive -> Infinity

The power chain would be:

LPS4 -> Infinity
    LPS4 -> Revive

The only way I would be interested in the Revive is if LHLabs were to buy back from my the Lightspeed 2G split cable and credit me the cost of the LPS4 to get an LPS8.
    This is an opportunity best for someone who has not already put together an LH system from the IGG campaign. That’s strange because of the email offer to previous backers to get the Revive at an introductory price. Perhaps there is enough of us to simply keep buying more.

I guess that I am just going to have to settle for the previously marketed, extremely good audio that I currently have.

In fact, I think I’m disillusioned enough to spin some vinyl to enjoy the best audio quality there is.

The Pulse Infinity only needs a 1.2A slot not the 0.5A slot. And I believe the HPA has just been changed to only needing a 1.2A slot as well. The 05.A slot has been changed to an AC output now, so we’ll need a power cord for it.
    Source takes a 1.2A slot and a 05A slot though so if you want to power the HPA, Pulse and Source you’ll need a LPS8. They won’t buy back yours but there was an upgrade option.

• January 30, 2016 at 2:15 pm #17582
    Hercules
    Participant

no, revive takes 5V USB from any Geek LPS

• January 30, 2016 at 2:34 pm #17583
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

There’s a bit of confusion on my part because Larry mentioned 5V and not 0.5V.
    Working from memory, I assumed that the LPS4 had two 5V ports, which was incorrect

The LPS4 has two 1.2V and two 0.5V ports
    It is correct that the Pulse needs a 1.2V, so does the Tube HPA, which I don’t have yet, but I am expecting to be delivered this year.
    This means that I have two available 0.5V ports

If Larry meant that the Revive can be recharged from a 0.5V port, then I would not need an LPS8 as I had thought earlier.

However, I remain with an opinion that enough-is-enough. I can’t be chasing some audio-nirvana that I may not even be able to discern from what I already have.

I am willing to bet that I would have to do some serious A-B testing to detect any increase in quality over what I already have in the digital-audio chain

It’s pretty amazing what the Infinity can do with the balanced connections to my audio system

• January 30, 2016 at 3:39 pm #17584
    germay0653
    Participant

Actually, on the LPS4, there are four 12V ports, two at 1.2A and two at 0.5A. Don’t confuse voltage with amperage. There is one USB Type B input which passes the data through, but outputs the 5V at 0.5A from the LPS4, to the USB Type A output. You can use that Type A output to power/charge the Revive using the cable supplied with the Revive.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by germay0653.
  • January 30, 2016 at 3:39 pm #17585
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

I don’t think I know what I am talking about :-)

The LPS4 has two 0.5A ports and two 1.2A ports. I’m confusing amperage with voltage
    I know that the Pulse and the HPA will need the 1.2A ports.

Therefore, can a 0.5A LPS4 port charge the Revive?

There’s a bit of confusion on my part because Larry mentioned 5V and not 0.5V.
    Working from memory, I assumed that the LPS4 had two 5V ports, which was incorrect

The LPS4 has two 1.2V and two 0.5V ports
    It is correct that the Pulse needs a 1.2V, so does the Tube HPA, which I don’t have yet, but I am expecting to be delivered this year.
    This means that I have two available 0.5V ports

If Larry meant that the Revive can be recharged from a 0.5V port, then I would not need an LPS8 as I had thought earlier.

However, I remain with an opinion that enough-is-enough. I can’t be chasing some audio-nirvana that I may not even be able to discern from what I already have.

I am willing to bet that I would have to do some serious A-B testing to detect any increase in quality over what I already have in the digital-audio chain

It’s pretty amazing what the Infinity can do with the balanced connections to my audio system

• January 30, 2016 at 3:44 pm #17587
    germay0653
    Participant

As long as you use the Type A USB output port (the long rectangular one), yes. You can’t use the the 12V ports, the ones with the 2 roundish holes, to power the Revive.

Looking at the back of the LPS4 use the USB Type A port just under the white triangle with the lightning bolt in it.

• January 30, 2016 at 3:47 pm #17589

Ok let me take/explain again Hercules’ statement…

LPS4 has 4 x 12V (2 x 1.2a and 2 x 0.5a) outputs AND ANOTHER 5V output coming from a USB-A connector (USB DAC).

What Larry was saying to power the LH Revive you can use the 5V output coming from the USB-A connector at the back of LPS/LPS4.

EDIT: Gery beat me to it..

• January 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm #17591
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

Ok let me take/explain again Hercules’ statement…

LPS4 has 4 x 12V (2 x 1.2a and 2 x 0.5a) outputs AND ANOTHER 5V output coming from a USB-A connector (USB DAC).

What Larry was saying to power the LH Revive you can use the 5V output coming from the USB-A connector at the back of LPS/LPS4.

Thank you, Michael.
    That really helped me.

I’m just trying to visualize this.

The LPS4 could provide power to my Pulse (12v, 1.2A cable ), HPA (12v, 1.2A cable), and the Revive (5v male/male USB-A to USB-Micro)

The computer’s USB port is connected to the Revive through the provided male-to-male USB-A to USB-C cable
    The Revive’s first USB-A port could be connected directly to the Pulse’s USB-B Source port
    The Revive’s second USB-A port could be connected directly to the LPS4’s USB-B Source port

The Revive is providing a clean power signal to the LPS4
    The Revive is providing clean data directly to the Pulse. The data does not pass through the LPS4 any more

Please correct me where I’ve missed a point

• January 30, 2016 at 4:33 pm #17592

1. Computer is connected to LH Revive from its USB ports thru a USB-A to USB-C connector.

2. LH Revive is powered from the LPS/LPS4 through its USB DAC port using a USB-A to USB Micro connector.

With this, LH Revive will receive ultra clean power from LPS/LPS4.

3. Geek Pulse is connected TO ONE of LH Revive’s powered USB sockets using a USB-A to USB-B connector.

No need to connect a separate power leg to your USB on your Geek Pulse. Since LH Revive receives Ultra clean power from LPS/LPS4 already.

• January 31, 2016 at 1:02 pm #17597
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Please forgive me if I’m just not getting this, but I feel my question about Revive and my streamer is not clearly answered. I’m considering using Revive with my LPS/4 connected to my Infinity that feeds my Auralic Aries streamer. Will Revive offer any benefits in this situation or is it best used when a computer is in the chain?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by digitalzed.
  • January 31, 2016 at 3:11 pm #17599
    Hercules
    Participant

Please forgive me if I’m just not getting this, but I feel my question about Revive and my streamer is not clearly answered. I’m considering using Revive with my LPS/4 connected to my Infinity that feeds my Auralic Aries streamer. Will Revive offer any benefits in this situation or is it best used when a computer is in the chain?

Larry said Yes!

http://lhlabs.com/forum/topic/source-3rd-femto-and-dedicated-usb-3-0-port-same-as-the-features-from-ls-revive/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Hercules.
  • January 31, 2016 at 3:32 pm #17601
    Hercules
    Participant

• January 31, 2016 at 4:21 pm #17602
    wingsounds13
    Participant

Hercules has it exactly right in his drawing. The only thing that I would add would be to use your LightSpeed 2G cable between the Revive and the DAC, with both USB A connectors plugged into the Revive.

J.P.

• January 31, 2016 at 4:27 pm #17603
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Brilliant. I really get it now! Thanks Hercules.

• February 2, 2016 at 5:50 pm #17631
    jer
    Participant

Well answered, Hercules :)

@digitalzed, to answer your question about the Aries and its dual femtos… you’ll have to try it and see. I know that anecdotally Larry likes the sound better with a Revive in-between his Source (femto) and his Pulse Infinity (femto), so there’s every possibility that it will improve the sound of your system when connected as Hercules diagrammed (especially with the LPS involved. Another guy I know uses an Uptone Regen with his Aries and he said he got a huge upgrade in SQ from switching from the cheap switcher that comes with the Regen to a third party LPS).

• February 2, 2016 at 6:58 pm #17634
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

Thanks JER. I decided to pony up for Revive. Anyone else here buy it?

• February 2, 2016 at 7:05 pm #17635
    jer
    Participant

I ordered one right away (more on faith than fact at the time… so far what he’s been telling me has me excited. : )

• February 2, 2016 at 7:19 pm #17637
    germay0653
    Participant

I ponied up for one too Jeremy! :)

• February 2, 2016 at 7:20 pm #17638
    jer
    Participant

Giddyup!

• February 2, 2016 at 7:29 pm #17640
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

I chose to buy, despite my misgivings and opinion expressed earlier. I am definitely more curious than convinced that I can discern the difference.

My audio system is battery powered, so I’m familiar with the decoupling of an audio system from AC. It does make a difference

• February 2, 2016 at 7:54 pm #17641
    digitalzeddigitalzed
    Participant

I have my misgivings also, both on performance enhancement and hitting delivery date. But the 60 day money back guarantee helped.

• April 1, 2016 at 1:05 pm #18290
    Angular Mo
    Participant

I canceled my order for the Revive yesterday, and today received acknowledgment the request has been sent to their accounting department to process the refund.

Having been promised in January a March 18th shipment date, and to be told yesterday that it will now be expected in a “few weeks”, I decided to cancel. Had they not set such firm expectations, I may have decided otherwise.

“The first 5 have been shipped out and Larry is awaiting reviews from those to release the rest. I anticipate the rest of the Revive backers to receive their units in the next few weeks.”

Yes, delays happen… by now I would hope LH Labs would reflect that possibility when publishing a date and characterizing it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Angular Mo. Reason: content fix &
  • April 26, 2016 at 8:11 am #18500
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

Still waiting…

For the Revive and for my Tube HPA.

My expectations were set properly for the HPA, but not for this Revive.

• June 16, 2016 at 4:20 pm #18711
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

Got my revive today. This is how I’ve connected my iPhone:

iPhone 6 > Lightening male to USB-A female cable >

USB-A male to USB-C male cable > Revive >

USB-A to Micro-USB cable > GeekOut V2+

I would love a 3-compartment case, one section for each device, with openings to allow cable pass-through.

BR,

Jerald

• June 17, 2016 at 1:09 pm #18718
    Angular Mo
    Participant

Is that a Geek Out v2? It looks much bigger than my GO v1.

Any suggestions on a USB Type-C cable ?

• June 17, 2016 at 2:28 pm #18720
    MusicToMyEars
    Participant

USB-A to Micro-USB cable > GeekOut V2+

yes, as I wrote in post:

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Lato, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;”>USB-A to Micro-USB cable > GeekOut V2+</span>

Isn’t it ironic that we’re spending money on what is supposed to be super high quality audio components and yet we are in search of better interconnects? I spoke with Gavin about this and learned that there are so many choices that it is difficult for a company to align themselves with on manufacturer and please everyone after adding on more money for a premium product. I do believe that we can do a little better than that which appears to be data cable and not an audio cable.

I’m going to use the USB-C cable for a while and evaluate this setup as you see it. If I do pursue replacements, I’ll first contact WyWires. I’m very pleased with Alex’s cables and interconnects

• June 17, 2016 at 2:35 pm #18721
    Angular Mo
    Participant

On second though, maybe it does not matter since we are listening to the Revive’s regeneration….

• June 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm #18724
    dlfaughn
    Participant

I guess, with the configuration suggested above, it makes that 10G cable we bought to go with our LPS4 and Infinity a bit useless…yes?

• June 20, 2016 at 7:43 pm #18745
    Manny Torres
    Keymaster

The Lightspeed Revive and 10G make a great pair. bandwidth and re-clocking are two complete different subjects. We have had requests to provide both which would seem like a logical step.

• June 20, 2016 at 9:15 pm #18749
    dlfaughn
    Participant

Great, post a schematic of how to set it up with the 10G…I have the 10G in the split configuration…with the LPS4 and Geek Pulse X Infinity.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by dlfaughn.
  • July 25, 2016 at 1:55 pm #18851
    Paul J. Novitt
    Participant

When connecting the LightSpeed Revive, with Pulse, LPS 4, using 2G Cable, connect the 2 USB A connectors to the LS Revive’s 2 USB A outputs, connect the USB B input to the Pulse, and the charging cable to the 5V USB output of the LPS 4. This brought the best listening experience with the LightSpeed Revive, Pulse, LPS4 setup.IMHOP

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geek Force Statistics

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Members active within the past 24 hours: 2
cogt3, matthijs
Forum Statistics
Threads: 249, Posts: 251, Members: 5,227
Welcome to our newest member, cecilbevington